Board of Trustees Meeting
December 6, 2021
A regular meeting of the North Shore Mosquito Abatement District (NSMAD) Board of Trustees will be held at NSMAD headquarters, 117 Northfield Road, Northfield, Illinois, on Thursday, December 9, 2021. The meeting will convene at 7:00 P.M.
Please click here for the agenda and instructions on how to attend via Zoom.
NSMAD Weekly Report
October 6, 2021
Please click here to read the NSMAD Weekly Report for week 40, September 25 – October 1, 2021.
This is the final weekly report for the 2021 season.
August 18, 2021
A Friendly Reminder – If It Can Hold Water, It Can Breed Mosquitoes!
Recent rainfall has created numerous potential mosquito breeding sites throughout the area, please be sure to examine your property for items that are holding water and drain them as soon as possible.
For larger flooded areas, please click here to report standing water or call us at, 847-446-9434, and our staff can inspect and provide any necessary treatments free of charge.
If it can hold water, it can breed mosquitoes!
July 12, 2021
What to Do Before Hiring A For Profit Mosquito Control Service
Contact the NSMAD, we will inspect the area of concern for FREE, and:
- identify if there are mosquitoes present (there are several harmless lookalikes)
- look for breeding sources and potential breeding sources
- eliminate or treat any breeding sources with mosquito specific bio-rational control products to prevent further adult mosquito emergence
- make recommendations that will help you minimize future mosquito issues
Please click here to initiate a service request or if you prefer, call us at 847-446-9434.
Contacting us first is cost effective, better for the environment, and will help minimize pesticide resistance in mosquitoes and preserve adult mosquito control products for when they are truly needed to prevent future disease outbreaks.
Click here to read or download a PDF flyer developed by Midwest Grows Green and Go Green Wilmette for additional information on the risks involved with subscribing to a private mosquito control service.
June 1, 2021
NSMAD Operations and COVID-19 The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District (NSMAD) is an essential public health agency committed to serving our communities by reducing the risk of West Nile virus and other potential mosquito-borne illnesses. To ensure that our staff and the public are protected while we continue to meet our mission during the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask for the public’s cooperation when interacting with our staff.
Larval Control Operations
- Regular site inspections and larval control treatments on public and private property have begun and will continue.
- The NSMAD will continue to respond to service requests, biting mosquito complaints, as well as, abandoned pools, backyard basins, and other potential sources of mosquito breeding.
- If you have previously made a service request regarding catch basins on your property, it is entered in our operations software system and will be addressed automatically again this year when our catch basin treatments begin around mid-May.
How The Public Can Help
- When making a service request, we are asking the public to help minimize direct contact with NSMAD staff as they perform their duties.
- If you have contacted us regarding a mosquito-related issue, please allow NSMAD staff unhindered access to the potential mosquito source to conduct inspections and any necessary mosquito control treatment.
- Tip and toss anything that can hold water that mosquitoes could breed in. A bit of work around your yard now can prevent mosquitoes from breeding on your property for years to come, and this lowers everyone’s risk.
What to Expect From Us
- Our staff wear identifiable uniforms that have been issued by the NSMAD and are required to have their NSMAD issued photo ID badge visible when responding to a service request.
- NSMAD staff has been instructed to wear a suitable face covering when directly interacting with a member of the public.
- When working in the field, NSMAD Field Technicians are required to wear a suitable face covering (cloth mask, medical mask, N95 respirator, etc.) in accordance with state and local rules regarding such use.
- NSMAD Vehicles are stocked with hand sanitizer and additional disinfecting materials and our staff has been instructed to use them before and after making contact with a requestor or as needed.
If you have questions or concerns, please call (847.446.9434) or email (email@example.com) us.
March 26, 2021
As temperatures continue to warm as we move further into Spring, mosquitoes aren’t the only insects with the potential to transmit diseases. Early spring is a prime time for tick activity. Be sure to check yourself, your children and your pets for the presence of ticks.
To learn about where in Illinois you may encounter ticks, as well as the potential diseases they may carry, please click on the following link to be directed to the Illinois Department Of Public Health’s Tick Surveillance Map.
We proudly serve the residents of the North Shore, including Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Skokie, Wilmette and Winnetka.More >
We are dedicated to protecting the residents of our community using the safest and most effective methods of mosquito control utilizing the principles of Integrated Pest Management.More >
We work closely with local, state and federal public health officials in our efforts to protect the community from mosquitoes.More >