May 23, 2017
The Illinois Department of Public Health as released their annual statement about the importance of protecting yourself from mosquito-borne illness. Read it here.
March 28, 2016
The NSMAD’s Annual Report for 2016 is now available.
Please click on the link to view or download a PDF file.
February 23, 2017
NSMAD to participate in CDC Regional Center of Excellence
The NSMAD is pleased to announce our participation in the Upper Midwestern Center of Excellence in Vector Borne Disease, a consortium of universities and public agencies with the ultimate goal of helping to prevent diseases spread by mosquitoes, ticks and other vectors.
A grant from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the amount of $10 million, was awarded to a group led by the University of Wisconsin. Collaborators include the University of Illinois, Michigan State University, Loyola Chicago University, University of Minnesota, Iowa State University and University of Iowa. In addition to the NSMAD, The Metropolitan Mosquito Control District in St. Paul, MN is the other vector control agency participating.
Zika Virus Information
Updated Spetember 21, 2016
The NSMAD recently drafted a formal Zika Virus Operational Plan. Please click here to read more.
What You Need To Know About Zika Virus
- The species of mosquitoes that are best able to transmit the virus, Aedes aegypti, have not been not found in the area the NSMAD serves
- A small population of a potential secondary vector Aedes albopictus, has recently been found in a limited area of the District
- The risk of contracting Zika virus from the bite of a mosquito witihin the area served by the NSMAD remains extremely low
- People traveling to countries where it is present are the most susceptible
- Illinois Department of Public Health, Zika information: http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/zika
- Cook County Department of Public Health Zika information: http://cookcountypublichealth.org/communicable-diseases/zika-virus
- US Centers for Disease Control Zika information: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/
Please be assured that the NSMAD is prepared to control any species of mosquitoes that could potentially transmit illnesses to humans should they appear in our area.
We proudly serve the residents of the North Shore, including Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Skokie, Wilmette and Winnetka.More >
We are dedicated to protecting the residents of our community using the safest and most effective methods of mosquito control utilizing the principles of Integrated Pest Management.More >
We work closely with local, state and federal public health officials in our efforts to protect the community from mosquitoes.More >