Sign Up For Alerts - Stay informed on the latest mosquito news and our activities during the year.
Rain Barrels, Mosquitoes & You.
Click here for important information regarding the installation and maintenance of rain barrels.
What you don’t know may breed more mosquitoes.
The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District is currently seeking qualified persons to fill the following positions:
We will accept applications for Seasonal Field Technicians until April 15, 2016.
Please download and complete the NSMAD employment application and return to us at:
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NSMAD, Attention Seasonal Employment
117 Northfield Road
Northfield, IL 60093
Updated February16, 2016
The NSMAD recently drafted a formal Zika Virus Operational Plan. Please click here to read more.
What You Need To Know About Zika Virus
- There is no evidence of local transmission via mosquitoes in the US
- People traveling to countries where it is present are the most susceptible
- The species of mosquitoes that are best able to transmit the virus have not been not found in the area the NSMAD serves
- Illinois Department of Public Health, Zika information: http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/zika
- Cook County Department of Public Health Zika information: http://cookcountypublichealth.org/communicable-diseases/zika-virus
- US Centers for Disease Control Zika information: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/
Please be assured that the NSMAD is prepared to control any species of mosquitoes that could potentially transmit illnesses to humans should they appear in our area.
Did You Know?
West Nile virus was first detected in the United States in New York in 1999. Learn more about West Nile virus>>
We don’t just spray to reduce the number of adult mosquitoes. 90% of our abatement program is focused on larval control, including the use of mosquito fish that love to eat larvae. Learn more about our larval control methods>>